Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Bournemouth Hot Air Balloon and Beach

Over 70 degrees out today! Which meant that we donned shorts and dresses and actually exposed limbs to the sun (after like 30min. spent applying sunscreen. These people at the park near us were totally laughing at how long this took us. I accidentally squeezed out a ton of this BabyGanics sunscreen so I was forced to use that crap as well. Organic schmorganic-when it comes to sunscreen, I'm sticking to Neutrogena for me and spray stuff for the kids. I'm white enough as it is, don't need this thick pasty white sunscreen that doesn't absorb into your skin.) :) 

We took the bus to Bournemouth to head to the beach. When we were halfway to the bus, I realized that we forgot our castle sand pails (very crucial). So we stopped at the Pound Store (seriously, no day is complete without a purchase from the Pound Store) and got some sand toys. We had to get a little shovel anyways since we lost ours at our last beach outing. (I've come to realize that you can just expect to lose at least one little sand toy in every trip to the beach. And I wish I had stock in sand pails-who knows how many of those we buy per summer.) Ethan suggested we just use one of daddy's metal BBQing tools as a replacement but I thought otherwise. We of course picked up a sand sifter, ball and pyramid mold with sand tools set as well.

Side note: our credit card was supposed to use this micro-chip and PIN number to make purchases (like everyone does here). But for some reason, even though I use the micro-chip, I still have to sign every single time I make a purchase. Some cashiers are completely baffled by this like this is the weirdest thing ever (or they are leery of my card and really inspect my signature). And twice, they wouldn't even let me make a purchase if I have to sign for my card?! No seriously, that is really my card. :)

Then we boarded our bus and Ethan was being very chatty and charismatic with all these different old people that were making conversation with him. He was cracking me up!

When we arrived and started walking through the park, we watched this huge hot air balloon go high up into the air (it is attached to a cable). It did not do this when we were in Bournemouth last time (I'm guessing that it wasn't operating that day because it was too windy). I totally initially thought it was just for looks! How cool, I totally wanted to go on it! But for some odd reason, Ethan didn't really want to go on it then (even though I was trying to gently persuade him). :) He was antsy to get to the beach. Okay, okay. 

So we parked ourselves close to the entrance of course (I got them to move a little ways in, but not much) and they took straight to sifting sand:


Here is Hailey trying to get sand out of her crocs: 


And Ethan burying the sand pyramid mold:


Hailey having a ball (who knows how much sand she ingested but she had a great time!):


Examining her latest find: 


Ethan dutifully digging for treasure (he tried multiple times to recruit Hailey and I to help him dig but then would get frustrated that Hailey was hindering his progress and putting sand back in the hole and would go dig in another area):


Packed beach (just imagine when it's actually summer): 


Ah, Popsicle weather:


So, after the beach on our way back to the bus, Ethan wanted to go on the hot air balloon (and Hailey seemed in good spirits with no sign of a pending breakdown). So we went-yah! It was much cheaper than I expected--20 Pounds ($30USD) altogether for the kids and I to go. Nice!


Prior to boarding the balloon:


On our way up:


Hailey could barely see (she was on her tippy toes here) but thankfully, she really enjoyed the ride!


View from the top (balloon goes 150meters up and you can see the English Channel and a 20mile radius):


They do night flights (it is lit up) and group  parties as well-how fun! What a cool little activity-well worth it!

Ethan did awesome today except for his little breakdowns on the walk home and not wanting to wear sandals but walk barefoot. Um, no. He was totally tired (as evidenced by his over 3hr. nap later).

Hailey fell asleep on the bus ride home so it was just a 45min. Nap today. I had to give them both a bath when we got home because they had sand all over and it was stuck to their sunscreen! We read this book we got from the library about this elephant that didn't like baths (but came around) and then had Ethan take a bath first to show her how fun it was. Luckily she did really good in the bath today. Got a little nervous at one point but we were able to talk her back down. Phew! And then, (even though she didn't sleep but I thought It was worth a try and I needed a shower myself badly), I attempted to put Hailey down for a nap. She was in there just humming "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to herself and chatting for awhile. I went and got her and we hung out. She was super snuggly today which was nice.

Ooo, Chris told me that one of his coworkers randomly offered to watch the kids so we could go on a date this Fri. Ha, is this even a question? Yes, please! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment