Saturday, March 28, 2015

Wimborne Flea Market and Model Town

After getting coffee and a tart and discovering that the Wimborne town center market (more of a farmers market and handmade products) is only once a month, we walked out of town to the Bric-A-Brac (mostly overpriced used junk) Saturday market. The kids were both MOODY and whiney today since they didn't go to sleep until super late last night. I knew today was going to be interesting when they didn't go to sleep until like 10pm. I can't wait for them to have separate rooms again. 

It was kind of nasty out today (windy and rainy) so we were kind of chilled. We looked for snails on the walk there. This one was kind of cool:



At the market, this woman gave Ethan a little house piggybank and these wooden ugly-cute hanging monkeys for Hailey (it was an estate sale of sorts), which was really nice. This particular piggy pank that Ethan loves needs glued and keeps falling apart but he loves it! 


He also got to pick a little vehicle (a cement truck) for 50pence. I got these practical collapsible plastic crates to store and move some of our things. 

We discovered that these yellow flowers on the walk there that looked kind of like a daffodil but more like a rose (but were yellow and among lots of daffodils) were actually this English Double Daffodil:


Next we ventured to the Wimborne Model Town which looked exactly like the town (mini versions of all the stores and buildings in the downtown area) and was laid out so you walked on the paths which were the streets, making Ethan look like a giant.






Then they also had a model railway which Ethan loved. Except he kept asking questions like, "Why don't the cars move too?" And "Do I get to take this home with me?". It was cool how pushing different buttons made different trains and features (like the windmill) work. Chris would have loved it as well. I also had the realization that "Cornish" ala "Cornish Pastys" is referring to Cornwall, England. The volunteer we were talking to for quite awhile (Mr. Hardacre), was totally making fun of me. I'm sorry but I don't think that abbreviation is as obvious as some others (for all I know, the Cornish could have been some ancient tribe or another town called Corning or something). This all came up because one of the parts of the model railway was based on a Cornwall fishing village. Cornwall looks really pretty and unique, definitely on our list of places to go (it's about 2-3hrs away I think). Here is Ethan with our buddy Mr. Hardacre:


 

Then we met Chris for lunch at La Vie En Rose Cafe for French food. It was great food and I was impressed until I ordered a dessert crepe and they brought out a crepe with a Dole fruit cocktail poured inside (not what I was expecting). :) I choose poorly (Chris had to rub it in with his handmade apple tart that he selected). Here is Hailey debating what to order:




No comments:

Post a Comment